Friday, April 15, 2011

Uganda Bound

Last Fall I was presented with the opportunity to go to Uganda with our adoption agency on a mission trip.  I said no.  That's dangerous and I can't leave my children and husband and travel across the world where all kinds of civil unrest prevail and diseases (that I can't even pronounce) are rampant.  
Plus summer is a busy time for us, soccer camps, VBS, the beach. 

Fast forward to January, it comes up again.  Really God, I mean we have already climbed out on this shaky limb of adoption, isn't that enough?  There are plenty of service opportunities right here in our town.  Plus, I like to be in control and I can't control circumstances in far away places like Africa.  I have to safeguard myself for the sake of my family, they need me, I cannot take the risk associated with this trip.

Fast forward to March.  The heartbreaking news.  She's lost her husband.  They were on their way to dinner with friends in a safe, civilized city.  Saturated from the heavy Spring rain a large tree fell on their car as they drove past.  Killed instantly.  Tragedy.   Why Lord?  Seeing this dear friend, suffering, Where is the control?
How much control do we really have over our circumstances?  
Do I really believe what I profess, that God is sovereign? 
Yes. 

March 14, I will go.  Not out of guilt or obligation but because I want to.  I am so thrilled to have this opportunity and can't wait to share all of the exciting ways that Gods hands have been orchestrating this trip.
Lord, let me serve as your hands and feet as we seek to provide comfort to the orphans.  
Lord let me not be self-righteous in my decision
nor judgmental against those who don't "get" my decision to go .  
Let me submit to you and your control.  
Let me trust in your goodness in all circumstances.   

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I have used many of these same excuses...so happy you are following the call! I know you will be richly blessed for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Polly I am speechless. First, I am so sad for your friend. Second, what a powerful experience that will be for you. I am looking forward to reading about how God orchestrated everything. We can plan our course, but truly He determines our steps. xxoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polly! How exciting (and your music is perfect for this post!) Our perception of control is funny, isn't it? I will be praying for you. You will be changed, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks y'all for your encouraging words! This will be my 3rd mission trip location, Jamaica and Bulgaria are the places we have served before, but for some reason Africa had me in a fear tizzy. But all is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polly I've been so deep in my little blogging hole these last two months trying to get my new site up and running that I am just now catching up. You are such an incredible & inspiring person & so brave. I don't think I could do it. I will be thinking of you and praying for you, and hopefully checking in more often as you embark on this amazing journey. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Polly, I'm visiting by way of Shannan and just wanted to give you some sort of sense of peace. I've served in Uganda for several months and it was truly one of the most remarkable experiences of my life. I have no doubt you will feel the same way. There have never been a nicer people or a greater place to learn about the root of all things. God Bless you on your journey and if you have any questions before hand, I'd love to try and answer them.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words are such an encouragement, thanks for stopping by